Re: Auto increment

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: "Fontenot, Paul" <Paul(dot)Fontenot(at)bannerhealth(dot)com>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto increment
Date: 2003-05-27 18:21:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

create sequence(foo_sequence);

create table foo (mysequence int not null default nextval('foo_sequence'),
somedata text);

See "create sequence" for options like start value and step. Note: sequences
are used to create unique values - not to create sequences without gaps. A
sequence number grabbed in a transaction that is rolled back will leave the
sequence incremented.

Cheers,
Steve