Re: $PostgreSQL$ for revision info

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: $PostgreSQL$ for revision info
Date: 2003-05-23 01:05:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Would anyone object to replacing $Header$ and $Id$ with $PostgreSQL$ for
> > a file version marker?
>
> I don't really care to depend on a nonstandard CVS setup...

Data point: Most large projects that have their source routinely
imported into other repositories or import other bits of code, make
heavy use of non-standard $Id$'s for the sake of reducing diff's and
collisions. The BSDs are the biggest examples and users of this. I
personally would very much like to see this change as I've grumbled
about doing imports of PostgreSQL into repos that I don't manage and
having lost version information because of colliding $Id$ tags.

Using the options file is pretty standard and has a long history of
use.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/CVSROOT/options

-sc

--