Re: Feature suggestions (long)

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature suggestions (long)
Date: 2003-05-20 15:02:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 12:40:00AM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Anyway, the general trend seems to be against the idea so I may as well go
> think of something else :)

I'm disappointed to hear that. Having no way to effectively partition
data is a real pain in pgsql, and your proposal would adress that. Yes,
you can build it yourself by creating the view and all the rules by
hand, but that has a lot of drawbacks:

It's completely PGSQL specific
It leaves no possibility for performance improvements down the road
It's a lot of code to write
You have to manually maintain it all every time you need to add a new
partition (in your example, at the start of every year).

I don't know what the policies for patches are, but I'd hope that the
core team would consider adding this functionality, especially since a
first-round implimentation can be done entirely with rules (or so it
seems).

I certainly understand that development time is a very limited resource,
and I'm willing to work on this (though I'm not a C coder). Even if no
one can commit to this right now, can't it be added to the todo list?
--
Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!) jim(at)nasby(dot)net