Re: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2

From: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
To: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org, cygwin(at)cygwin(dot)com
Subject: Re: Updated Cygwin Package: postgresql-7.3.2-2
Date: 2003-05-20 11:57:05
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Frank,

[Note redirected from cygwin-announce@ to cygwin(at)(dot)(dot)(dot)]

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 06:16:37PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> >New News:
> >=== ====
> >This version is built against cygipc 1.14-1 which contains a fix to
> >properly handle Windows XP's Fast User Switching. If interested, see
> >the following for the details:
> >
> > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg00282.html
>
> Jason,
>
> How version-specific is PostgreSQL under Cygwin with relation to
> CygIPC?

Somewhat.

> I mean, from the above, it seems that a fix in the latter requires a
> recompile of the former?

It depends.

> Or is that only in specific cases like this one with the Fast User
> Context Switching (FUCS)?

If the change is internal to ipc-daemon then no recompile of PostgreSQL
should be necessary. On the other hand, if the change is in libcygipc.a,
then a recompile is necessary.

> [Acronym unintentional...but kind of amusing when I think about
> it. :-) ]

Agreed. Maybe the CKOA <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#CKOA> will add it
to the list.

> I only ask because I saw the updated CygIPC 1.14-1 this morning and
> figured I'd test against it (with the same same PostgreSQL 7.3.2-1
> that's been installed). FYI: PostgreSQL 7.3.2-1 behaves no differently
> than before--initdb still fails if you use FUCS--but 'ipctest s' DOES
> work even when logged in using FUCS, and PostgreSQL itself runs just fine.

The above is the expected behavior because the FUCS change is in
libcygipc.a (and ipc-daemon).

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6