Re: GUC and postgresql.conf docs

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUC and postgresql.conf docs
Date: 2003-05-12 17:40:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom,

> The tables in src/backend/utils/misc/guc.c are the authoritative reference.
> Read the comments in src/include/utils/guc.h first.

Thanks. Would never have found it on my own ...

> Yes, everything in postgresql.conf is a GUC variable; but I think there
> may be some GUC variables that were omitted from postgresql.conf.
> Hopefully intentionally, not by oversight ...

Mmm? I think I have some terminology confusion somewhere. I thought that a
GUC variable meant that it could be changed through a SET statement. But
some settings, like TCP/IP socket, cannot be SET. What distinguises
settings that can be SET from GUC variables that are restart-only?

I sense more posts to the list in the offing.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions