Re: Optimizing POSTGRESQL config

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Joanne Formoso <joanneformoso(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Optimizing POSTGRESQL config
Date: 2003-05-02 20:18:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

Joanne,

> Attached to this email is the configuration file that
> we are currently using for POSTGRESQL
> (postgresql.txt). We are using Apache webserver
> together with PHP and PostgreSQL 7.3.2. Our test
> server has the following specs: AMD Athlon 1.2 Gz
> with 128 MB of ram. Any help and suggestions on the
> matter would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Buy more RAM. In my experience, Apache tends to use about 128mb by itself
under moderate concurrent user load, causing it to fight with PostgreSQL for
RAM. I think you'll find that doubling your RAM will quintuple your
PostgreSQL performance on large queries.

--
-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533