Re: Selecting the most recent date

From: "Jay O'Connor" <joconnor(at)cybermesa(dot)com>
To: Mark Tessier <m_tessier(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Selecting the most recent date
Date: 2003-04-28 18:59:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2003.04.28 10:26 Mark Tessier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My question is hopefully a simple one: If I have several rows, each
> containing a date field, and I want to select the row that has the date
> closest to today's date, what would be the syntax for carrying that out.

Unless I misunderstand, it should be just a matter of an ORDER BY clause in
reverse order with a LIMIT BY clause to limit yuorself to the highest
result

SELECT * from myyable ORDER BY datefield DESC LIMIT 1;

DESC means to using a descending sorta order (versus "ASC")
LIMIT 1 means how many rows you want returned

Take care,
Jay