Re: DBD::Pg large processor load.

From: Chris Gamache <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Rudy Lippan <rlippan(at)remotelinux(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DBD::Pg large processor load.
Date: 2003-04-22 02:30:37
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Procps reports that the 6 simultaneous postmasters (spawned by 6 instances of
the same perl script) each have 20% load with DBI over 6% load each for 6
postmasters with PgSQL::Cursor. (Running Dual Xeons at 2GHz apiece w/o
hyperthreading)

I can't seem to reproduce the problem with test code (posted in pgsql-general
with a similar thread. Hasn't made it to google yet, otherwise I'd include a
link) I think it has to do with the large dataset it is dealing with.

As far as PgSQL::Cursor using cursors, I guess that might be the case. I was
hoping someone would suggest using a different DBI method or DBI setting, to
tone down DBI's (perceived) voracity for processor time!

PgSQL::Cursor was alpha software when I started using it. It was simple to
impliment, and did the trick. It was eclipsed by DBI and as a result was not
updated. PgSQL.pm didn't cause a problem until recently. Porting to DBI was
simple: different method calls yielding the same results. The only difference
that I can see is the extra load. I've never gone digging in the sources, so
I'm not sure how the two differ.

I'll settle for extra processor load as a trade off for stability. I was hoping
there would be a well-known and quick fix. My next task is to turn on some
verbose debug logs to perhaps shed some light on what's going on, and let me
know why I can't reproduce this with my test code!

Thanks for the response. Let me know if I've sparked a clue or two...