Status of the PGSQL replication projects?

From: Alessandro Bottoni <alessandro(dot)bottoni(at)infinito(dot)it>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Status of the PGSQL replication projects?
Date: 2003-04-19 14:28:46
Lists: pgsql-general

I know that there are a few different projects aimed to allow the replication
of PostgreSQL databases but, as long as I can see, most of them are in a
alpha or beta development stage.

Is it possible to know if some of them can be considered "usable" and/or
"dependable" in a real-world application, despite its 0.X release number?

I'm particularly interested in usogres and dbmirror (because I just have to
duplicate an existing database from a laptop to a server and from this
server, in turn, to other laptops, asynchronously) but I woul be happy to
know which is the status of more ambitious projects like the "official"
postgresql project (PGReplicator, By Bettina Kemme & C.), as well.

Will it be possible to use these sophisticated replication engines for a
real-world application in a short time - let say: less than a year from now?

Many thanks for your attention.

Alessandro Bottoni