Re: cross-db queries (was Are we losing momentum?)

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cross-db queries (was Are we losing momentum?)
Date: 2003-04-16 14:25:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 19:40, Rob Butler wrote:
> a) create remoteview ... (all necessary information about remote machine
> and query) b) create view [local | remote] .... (necessary info)
> c) create view remote-server.schema.table (necessary info)

That is not a good way. Oracle does/recommends a create synonym so that either
a remote view or table can be treated as if it is a loacl table/view. This
takes care of select/insert/update/delete etc. I think that is a better way
of integrating remote objects in current database.

Of course, if there are some standards regarding remote database object, they
will take precedence over oracle style of syntax. But personally I think
oracle syntax is good enough. (I just check sql 92 syntax and it does have
provision for remote database access)

Shridhar