Re: Are we losing momentum?

From: Rob Butler <robert(dot)butler5(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date: 2003-04-15 17:43:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello all,

New to the Hackers list, but long time lurker on the archives. Also a member of the Postgres-r list. Just thought I would join in now to give my opinions on this thread.

> One of the features that PostgreSql must have, IMHO, is support for
> cross-db operations (queries, updates, deletes, inserts). 2PC and
> cross-server stuff would be nice but it's not as important as simple
> cross -db operations across databases on the same server. All major
> comercial RDBMS (and even mySql!) support this but for Postgres. Sad.

I disagree, The cross-db operations would indeed be very nice to have, but you COULD make things work across DB's from within your application code if Postgres supported 2PC. Granted this would not be the best, but it could be done.

Also, if you want to start doing cross-db operations you will need 2PC to support this. While 2PC may not be needed to support cross-db operations on two db's on the same server, it would definetly be needed to do cross-db operations with db's on two separate servers. Why limit the cross-db operations only to db's on the same server?

Later
Rob