Re: Corrupt index

From: Amir Becher <abecher(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Corrupt index
Date: 2003-04-10 18:55:17
Lists: pgsql-general

This pattern of misbehavior does occur repeatedly for
me.

I don't know if this may have something to do with it,
but we do backup the data every night using VERITAS
Backup Exec. We are not restoring anything, though
(the data is backed up to tape). The VERITAS software
runs on Windows, but there is an agent that runs on
our Linux box where the PostgreSQL data is stored. I
should also mention that the backup is running while
the database is being modified (we modify the database
24/7).

There is another unexpected behavior that I noticed
for the first time this morning (so I am not sure if
it's recurring, related or relevant). The database
"blinked" in the sense that all database connections
were lost - but new connections could be obtained
immediately after the "blink". The error message that
I got said something about possible "corrupted shared
memory" and I guess the shutting down of the
connections was a precautionary measure.

I hope this additional information helps.