Re: Converting from dbase

From: Darko Prenosil <darko(dot)prenosil(at)finteh(dot)hr>
To: "Robert Fitzpatrick" <robert(at)webtent(dot)com>, "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Converting from dbase
Date: 2003-04-04 10:28:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday 04 April 2003 03:35, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where to get the file dbf2pg-3.0.tar.gz? I want to
> convert dbf files to PostgreSQL and I see references to this file all
> over the net as located at
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/incoming/dbf2pg-3.0.tar.gz, but that does
> not exists.

What is the big deal with "converting dbf" ? Some time ago I had some tables
under FoxPro 2.6, and here is what I did :
Write a simple FoxPro program that read the table, creates "CREATE TABLE"
and "INSERT INTO" statements.
Result form this program are saved to text file.
After that you only execute text file using psql. And that is it !
No problem with "Memo" files, I suppose that "dbf2pg" does not know to
read Fox memo files.
I suppose You are familiar with some "DBase" tool like Fox, Clipper etc..
(otherwise where did You get those DBF files?).
If the language You are using apparent to be Fox, I can try to find this
code and send to You.

However, there is "dbase" source from contrib dir (7.2 version of postgres).
You will probably need to change the Makefile.

Regards !

Attachment Content-Type Size
dbase.tar.gz application/x-tgz 12.1 KB