Re: contrib and licensing

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, "mlw" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib and licensing
Date: 2003-04-03 04:53:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday 02 April 2003 22:39, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> > <stifles ROTFL>

> > Everyone does realize that on Linux PostgreSQL binaries link against
> > glibc, which is LGPL......

> And your point is?

That everyone is being entirely too picky. Hey, we link against other things,
too. Some aren't LGPL. The readline example is a good one, incidentally:
it's GPL. And its stubs are in the backend, of all places. At least on
Linux.

Gotta watch any 'static builds' then.

> On other Unixoid systems you can link against BSD-license libc code, or
> some-random-proprietary-license code from HP or Sun or whomever. glibc
> doesn't have a monopoly in that sphere. But mlw is offering code that
> will *only* run against a single implementation that is LGPL licensed.
> That makes it effectively LGPL.

One could clean-room reimplement if the demand is enough.

But, if one wants to get picky, let's talk about the license issue of
PL/Python. The PSF looks like a rat's nest.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio