Re: ECPG thread-safety

From: Philip Yarra <philip(at)utiba(dot)com>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ECPG thread-safety
Date: 2003-03-31 00:23:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces pgsql-patches

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 00:06, Michael Meskes wrote:
> Is this the only problem you're facing with Informix? I'm currently
> working on other Informix compatibility stuff. And I'd like to get that
> tested as good as possible.

Yes, I recall reading that you were working on better Informix compatibility -
most welcome! Honestly, the changes we needed to make to port from Informix
were pretty minor, as I recall:
- some of the connection syntax differred
- figuring out that OID was not populated in sqlca if not auto-committing
(makes sense really)
- our original code used non-standard ways to name a PREPAREd statement which
threw ECPG (and according the Informix doco shouldn't really have worked for
that either!) so I fixed that in both development streams

You can probably deduce from this that we are not really using a great deal of
functionality in this app - what we have ported so far is a simple logging
server. We really won't be porting any more until ECPG is thread-safe. It's a
major show-stopper, since all of our apps are built on the same (pthreads)
framework.

That said, we would love to help test further Informix compatibility stuff -
anything that makes our future porting process easier would be welcome! Let
us know what you'd like us to test. Diffs are fine.

Regards, Philip.