Re: About changing type af a column

From: "Victor Yegorov" <viy(at)pirmabanka(dot)lv>
To: "Marc Soler" <msoler(at)el-valles(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About changing type af a column
Date: 2003-03-26 09:56:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

* Marc Soler <msoler(at)el-valles(dot)com> [26.03.2003 11:48]:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to change a column length.
>
> >From varchar(150) to varchar(250).
>
> It's easy to change with an ALTER command? Or I need to create a new column,
> copy all data from the old column to the new one, then drop the old and
> rename the new.
>
> If only exists the second solutions, the new column it will be created last
> one of the columns, then I must change all INSERT and UPDATE commands in my
> application.

How order of fields in the table can affect UPDATE statements?

About INSERTs - it's a good thing to specify all fields being inserted just
to prevent 'inconveniences' like you've mentioned.

> It's possible to create a column in a given position in the columns
> structure of a table?.

Yes. create a new table with same design except for the field you'd like to
change, than copy all data into new table, drop old one and rename new one.

--

Victor Yegorov