Re: to_char(interval) --- done?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: to_char(interval) --- done?
Date: 2003-03-24 13:56:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 04:34:38AM -0600, Larry Rosenman wrote:

> --On Monday, March 24, 2003 09:40:46 +0100 Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 03:32:11PM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >>Folks,
> >>
> >>Some months ago we agreed on this list that the functioning of
> >>to_char(interval) was not particularly useful the way it works in
> >>current stable versions. I don't see a to_char fix on the TODO list,
> >>though; does that mean it's already been fixed in 7.4?
> >
> > No. There was short discussion about it last week.
>
> I volunteered to look into it, but got a sorta negative reply from Peter_E,
> but no
> response to my request for suggestions.

I think what Peter was saying is to research some ways to manage
intervals and other time related data types within what the SQL standard
defines. to_char() and the like are only Oracle compatibility functions
and should not be taken as serious ways to do things.

"Find a bug in a program, and fix it, and the program will work today.
Show the program how to find and fix a bug, and the program
will work forever" (Oliver Silfridge)