Re: Page Size in Future Releases

From: "Shridhar Daithankar<shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Page Size in Future Releases
Date: 2003-03-21 03:39:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Friday 21 Mar 2003 2:15 am, Kendrick C. Wilson wrote:
> Will a increase in the size of a data page increase performance of a
> database with large records?
>
> I have records about 881 byte + 40 byte (header) = 921.
>
> 8k page size / 921 bytes per record is ONLY 8 records...........

You can tweak it yourself at compile time in some header file and that should
work but that is a point of diminising results as far as hackers are
concerned.

One reason I know where it would help is getting postgresql to use tons of
shaerd memory. Right now postgresql can not use much beyond 250MB(??) because
number of shared buffer are int or something. So if you know your reconrds
are large, are often manipulated and your OS is not so good at file caching,
then increasing page size might help.

Given how good unices are in general in terms of file and memory handling, I
woudl say you should not do it unless your average record size is greater
than 8K, something like a large genome sequence or so.

YMMV..

Shridhar