Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode
Date: 2003-03-20 04:56:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Neil Conway wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 23:36, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I don't like pushing autocommit to the client.
>
> It seems like a good idea to me, particularly since the current
> server-side implementation is such a kludge. Can you go over your
> objections to client-side autocommit again?

First, I am afraid a kludge on the server is going to become 10 client
kludges. I also don't see how it can be easily controlled in the
application without adding an API function for every language --- adding
it to libpq will require new API's in perhaps 7 different languages.

I think our SET functionality is easy to understand and use. I don't
see pushing it into the client as greatly improving things, and could
make things worse. If we can't get it right in the backend, how many
clients are going to do it wrong?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us