Re: postgresql meltdown on PlanetMath.org

From: Aaron Krowne <akrowne(at)vt(dot)edu>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql meltdown on PlanetMath.org
Date: 2003-03-16 08:30:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

> You may want to setup a nightly vacuum/backup procedure. Palle
> Girgensohn <girgen(at)pingpong(dot)net> has written a really nice and simple
> script that's been in use for ages on FreeBSD PostgreSQL installations
> for making sure that you don't have this problem.
>
> Actually, it'd be really cool to lobby to get this script added to the
> base PostgreSQL installation that way you wouldn't have this
> problem... it'd also dramatically increase the number of nightly
> backups performed for folks if a default script does this along with
> vacuuming. -sc

*Actually*, I just double checked, and I was not hallucinating: I *do*
have a nightly vacuum script... because Debian postgres comes with it =)

So, either it is broken, or doing a VACUUM FULL ANALYZE rather than just
VACUUM ANALYZE made all the difference. Is this possible (the latter,
we know the former is possible...)?

apk