Re: Row vs. tuple

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Row vs. tuple
Date: 2003-03-16 04:35:28
Lists: pgsql-docs

> > How about: s/(row|tuple)/record/
>
> We do need two different terms: eliminating the distinction between
> a row and a version of a row is not going to improve matters.
>
> I have nothing against the word "record", but it doesn't seem to
> help clarify this distinction ...

Well, if you want to get cognitive, "old record" likely carries a more
explicit and easy to understand mental picture than "old tuple" or
"version of a row." I guess the same phrasing could apply to tuple or
row, but record has historically seemed like the easiest term for
people to grasp.

(new|old)? (record|row|tuple)

It's not a one word zinger, but (new|old)? is just a description for
the entity that the mind has an understanding or conceptupal picture
of. -sc

--
Sean Chittenden