now() AT TIME ZONE interval '-5 hours' returns type interval???

From: Joshua Moore-Oliva <josh(at)chatgris(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: now() AT TIME ZONE interval '-5 hours' returns type interval???
Date: 2003-03-14 01:37:47
Lists: pgsql-general

I am attempting to work with time zones. All of my timestamp fields are

timestamp with time zone

The problem I am having is when I attempt to convert a timestamp with a time
zone to another time zone. For example, the statement

SELECT now() AT TIME ZONE interval '-5 hours'

returns type interval not timestamp with//out time zone.

On my website I have people select the timezone they are in..

That way I can theoritically perform an insert along the lines of

timestamp '2003-12-03 19:34' AT TIME ZONE interval '-5 hours'

replacing -5 with whatever timezone they specify.

I am hoping to be able to do the reverse,

SELECT stamp AT TIME ZONE interval '-5 hours' FROM table;

However it returns type interval!!! And casting it to type timestamp does not
work.

Help!

Josh.