drop table if exists

From: Kevin Coyner <kevin(at)rustybear(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: drop table if exists
Date: 2003-03-05 19:09:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

In MySQL, when I create a new table from a .sql file, I usually start
with:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS sometable;
CREATE TABLE sometable(

This doesn't work in Postgres and I haven't been able to find the
equivalent in the docs. If I try to drop a table that doesn't exist, I
get an error message, so having that modifier "... if exists ..." is
nice.

Is there an equivalent to "IF EXISTS" in Postgres?

Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks
Kevin

--
Kevin Coyner