Re: transparent use of pre-aggregated value for very large datasets

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: shahbaz <chaudhar(at)umich(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transparent use of pre-aggregated value for very large datasets
Date: 2003-03-03 01:26:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 17:36:33 -0800,
shahbaz <chaudhar(at)umich(dot)edu> wrote:

> Any pointers? Or preferably, any hackers will to take this on? Or,
> even better, does this already exist and I just don't know about it
> :)?

If the number of groups isn't too large, the hash aggregate system in 7.4
might speed up your query enough. By using hashes, the sort step is
avoided which will speed things up for large tables.

7.4 won't be out for a while, but the feature is already in CVS so you
can see if it will help with your problem now.