Re: Locking rows

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Locking rows
Date: 2003-02-28 15:27:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday 28 Feb 2003 10:26 am, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> I have written an application that prints out data from a database. One
> problem I am encountering is in the time it takes to generate the print
> file the data may have changed.
>
> I was thinking that a way around this would be to lock the rows that are
> used to generate the print file. However I am not quite sure how to best
> go about this.
>
> Is locking the rows the best (or simplest) solution?

See the chapter "Concurrency Control" in the User Guide. Sounds like you want
to set transaction level to serializable - no explicit locking required.

This means that within your report-building transaction you don't see any
changes to the database (unless you do any within the transaction itself).

HTH

--
Richard Huxton