Re: debug a mess

From: Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: debug a mess
Date: 2003-02-27 17:18:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On 26/02/03 16:34 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Wei Weng <wweng(at)kencast(dot)com> writes:
> > Where is postmaster log? I found a new file in /var/log/pgsql. I put
> > log_connections = yes and syslog = 2 into my postgresql.conf file and expect
> > something to happen. Restarted postgresql service on my redhat 7.3 box and
> > tried a couple of queries with psql utility. Nothing seemed to have been
> > logged in /var/log/pgsql.
>
> If you want to use syslog then you'd better be sure that syslogd is
> configured to do something useful with Postgres messages, and not just
> drop 'em on the floor.
>
> If you want to use stderr, look at the start script. Some distros
> provide Postgres start scripts that route the postmaster's stderr to
> /dev/null --- either explicitly, or by using the infamous -S switch.

Tom:

I checked pg_config's output, in my redhat build, syslog is already enabled.
So that clears some of my doubt.

This is how I started my postmaster.

su postgres

/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -l /var/log/pgsql -p /usr/bin/postmaster start >
/var/log/pgsql 2>&1

I am trying my best to force the postmaster to write to the /var/log/pgsql
file. But it didn't seem to work at all. All there in /var/log/pgsql is a
oneline "postmaster successfully started". I checked the manpages, and all
they say about log is use -l switch (which I used).

Can you provide a little more hints?

Thanks!

Wei