Re: ILIKE

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ILIKE
Date: 2003-02-25 13:29:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 08:13:27AM -0500, mlw wrote:

> things about the PostgreSQL core team that troubles me is a fairly
> arbitrary feature selection process.

[. . .]

> In Open Source, the attitude should not be "do we want this feature?"
> but "can we add/keep this without affecting anything else?" The first

I can't think of an actual case where PostgreSQL dropped a feature
without the latter question being the one which was answered. Note
that one possible value of "anything else" in that question is
"ability to work on something else instead of maintaining this code".
Sometimes features get dropped because no-one is interested in
maintaining them (where "interest" is measured as a function of
willingness to do the maintenance on the code), and the cost of
maintaining them is great enough that it's a distraction.

That said, it seems to me even the latter case is pretty rare. What
case were you thinking of? (Surely this one doesn't qualify as an
example: it's apparent that the suggestion to remove ILIKE has caused
plenty of opposition.)

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada