Re: A few questions to real pgsql gurus

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A few questions to real pgsql gurus
Date: 2003-02-24 17:01:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:03:38AM +1030, Justin Clift wrote:

> > b) is it possible to configure an auto-failover to the secondary
> > database in case primary dies.
>
> Definitely. See the above URLs for further information.

I have to say that we do not use it that way, and I cannot recommend
such a strategy. (We're the ones using it for .org and .info.)
Failing over is something of a pain in the neck, and it is not
100% reliable in cases where you have flakey hardware (as I learned
to my chagrin recently).

That said, the replication itself has not failed for us.

PostgreSQL, Inc. sells a version which is somehow linked to a Linux
system; I don't know very much about it, so it may work perfectly
well. But that is _not_ the system we are using.

There are some other replication systems, as well, but I have no
experience with them. For more information on replication, see Bruce
Momjian's recent presentation on it

http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/replication.pdf

or visit the replication gborg site

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgreplication/projdisplay.php

We are very happy with PostgreSQL, and have consistently good
experience with its reliability and speed. I would strongly
recommend it, with one of the various replication systems.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8