Re: Very Slow connecting and loading database

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: "Roberto Mason" <systemtech(at)robertomason(dot)pointclark(dot)net>, "Pgadmin-Support (E-mail)" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Very Slow connecting and loading database
Date: 2003-02-16 08:09:45
Lists: pgadmin-support

Le Vendredi 14 Février 2003 18:49, Roberto Mason a écrit :
> When I connect with pgadminII to the server (log in with postgres -
> no password), it takes up to 3-4 minutes to connect. When I click to the
> database "bobsimple - sample database", it can take over 5 minutes to
> "examine".

I already had a similar problem. It is not a PostgreSQL problem.

Looks like Linux is convigured with DNS reverse lookup (for security reasons),
and hence will try to convert any IP connection into a DNS name. Two possible
solutions:
- disable reverse DNS lookup,
- add your Windows client address to the list of known host.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE