Re: Todo "claim": psql tab completion on schema names

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Todo "claim": psql tab completion on schema names
Date: 2003-02-16 00:49:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 01:34:34AM +0100, Ian Barwick wrote:
> On Sunday 16 February 2003 01:10, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > I've been debating a mechanism which could build tab completion tables
> > based on the documentation for a while now -- and was going to give it a
> > try next week. If it works, that file would essentially disappear.

Hmm, from slash commands, or from SQL grammar? Or both? How impossible would
it be to generate the tab-completion from the _grammar_ (for the SQL)
rather than from docs? Something I was musing about when adding cases to this
a month or so ago.

> > Feel
> > free to send in patches for ones that have been missed.
>
> ..what I meant is that after entering \d, TAB will produce a list of tables,
> but \di does not produce a list of indexes, same for \dv etc. I see
> no particular reason why this is so and can provide patches
> if relevant.

Send in the patches: won't hurt, even if they get overridden by alter work -
who knows, Rod may get distracted and not complete the grand plan above.
In general, it's better to capture existing work than hold of for future,
better, implementations, for things like this (no backwards compatability
issues)

Ross