Re: Offering tuned config files

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel(at)digsys(dot)bg>
To: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Offering tuned config files
Date: 2003-02-14 12:24:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>>Manfred Koizar said:
> effective_cache_size = 20000 (~ 160 MB) should be more adequate for a
> 256 MB machine than the extremely conservative default of 1000. I
> admit that the effect of this change is hard to benchmark. A way too
> low (or too high) setting may lead the planner to wrong conclusions.

The default on BSD systems is 10% of the total RAM, so on a 256MB machine this
would be ~26MB or effective_cache_size = 32000.

One could always modify the kernel to support much larger value, but I doubt
this is done in many cases and the usefulness of larger buffer cache is not
obvious in the presence of many fsync calls (which might be typicall). I could
be wrong, of course :)

In any case, the default is indeed low and would prevent using indexes on
larger tables, where they are most useful.

Daniel