Re: Incremental backup

From: Martin Marques <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Patrick Macdonald <patrickm(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Incremental backup
Date: 2003-02-14 11:12:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jue 13 Feb 2003 16:38, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Patrick Macdonald wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > Someone at Red Hat is working on point-in-time recovery, also known as
> > > incremental backups.
> >
> > PITR and incremental backup are different beasts. PITR deals with a
> > backup + logs. Incremental backup deals with a full backup + X
> > smaller/incremental backups.
> >
> > So... it doesn't look like anyone is working on incremental backup at the
> > moment.
>
> But why would someone want incremental backups compared to PITR? The
> backup would be mixture of INSERTS, UPDATES, and DELETES, right? Seems
> pretty weird. :-)

Good backup systems, such as Informix (it's the one I used) doesn't do a query
backup, but a pages backup. What I mean is that it looks for pages in the
system that has changed from the las full backup and backs them up.

That's how an incremental backup works. PITR is another thing, which is even
more important. :-)

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?