Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Tony Grant <tony(at)tgds(dot)net>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL x Oracle
Date: 2003-02-10 20:57:42
Lists: pgsql-general

> About speed:
>
> I am using Postgres as a backend for my online databases. Everybody
> uses MySQL for that because it is faster right?
>
> Wrong! Everybody uses MySQL because PHP is as slow as glue when
> compared to JSP... By using Postgresql and JSP the pages are served
> just as quickly as with LAMP. If not faster...

Drat, this topic belongs on a -chat list at this point, but I have to
second this. Short of applications that could be distilled to a cdb
or bdb database, I have found PostgreSQL to be faster than MySQL and
that gap seems to be getting bigger thanks in huge part to the efforts
that Tom's been putting into query/executor optimization and the new
bitmapset tokens (newly committed and very cool/appreciated, IMHO).
-sc

--
Sean Chittenden