MD5 Passwords and user administratio

From: Carlos Ortiz <ortizc2(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: MD5 Passwords and user administratio
Date: 2003-02-08 22:19:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

I am trying to figure out exactly how to set someone's password when using MD5
passwords in postgres. I am trying to automate some features, and still can't
figure out what I am doing wrong. MD5 of the password is obviously not wha is
used by itself, since that would be insecure, but I can't figure out what the
salt is. What exactly is psotgres passing to the MD5 hash to make up that
incredible unintelligible stream of characters that it stores in the password
field of the pg_shadow table?

desperate,

Carlos