Re: Adding // comments (ANSI??)...

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding // comments (ANSI??)...
Date: 2003-02-05 02:57:07
Lists: pgsql-patches

> > I didn't think much of it until I took a gander at the crash-me
> > page on mysql.com and I couldn't find a single vendor that
> > supports // comments, but it did list // as an ANSI supported
> > comment. ::shrug::
>
> MySQL seem to have only a very weak grasp on the notion of "spec
> compliance" ;-). // is most definitely not a comment in the SQL
> spec.

At best a weak notion of spec compliance. You should read about the
use of '--' as a comment and why '--' has to have a space after it in
order for it to be a valid comment: I found it highly amusing. :)

Anyway, Neil, thanks for looking that up: I don't have a copy of the
standard and thought it was a tad strange to see it listed as an ANSI
comment (assuming they meant ANSI SQL and not ANSI C99), especially
since I couldn't find _any_ references suggesting // as a valid SQL
token. :)

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden