Bug #890: only one user per process in libpq with krb5 auth

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #890: only one user per process in libpq with krb5 auth
Date: 2003-02-04 06:48:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ed Schaller (schallee(at)darkmist(dot)net) reports a bug with a severity of 2

Short Description
only one user per process in libpq with krb5 auth

Long Description
Most of the kerberos authentication information used to authenticate a connection to the server with libpq is stored in global variables. This has the result that only one user&passwd can be used per process.

Although this doesn't seem like a big issue on the surface, it makes things like mod_perl/mod_php + mod_auth_kerb mostly useless unless you only have one user. It also can lead to some very odd bugs.

I'm afraid I didn't follow this through like I should as this was origionally discussed on pgsql-intefaces last May. The patch from them still applies fine though.

Sample Code
The patch can be found at:

http://www.darkmist.net/~schallee/tmp/pgsql-libpq-kerb.patch

The authentication code in libpq is rather cludgy in general and this patch doesn't help the situation. If I get board I may try to rewrite it.

No file was uploaded with this report