Re: Windows Build System - My final thoughts

From: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Windows Build System - My final thoughts
Date: 2003-02-01 10:08:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Saturday 01 February 2003 01:26, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday 31 January 2003 03:21, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Man, I go away for one day, and look what you guys get into. :-)
>
> No duh. Whew.
>
> > Lastly, SRA just released _today_ their first Win32 port of PostgreSQL,
> > and it is _threaded_:
> >
> > http://osb.sra.co.jp/PowerGres/
>
> Is there an English translation of the site so one who doesn't speak or
> write Japanese can try it out?

Can't see one, but here is a summarized translation of the relevant
parts as I understand them.

HTH

Ian Barwick
barwick(at)gmx(dot)net

http://osb.sra.co.jp/PowerGres/
-------------------------------

"Announcement about Powergres"

* Release of [ Beta download ] of PowerGres (31.1.2003)
* [Press release] (27.11.2002)

http://osb.sra.co.jp/PowerGres/introduction.php

"PowerGres (PostgreSQL on Windows)"
"The standard open source database 'PostgreSQL' on Windows"

PowerGres is a DBMS which has been developed on the basis
of PostgreSQL and ported to Windows (2000 / XP).

PowerGres' features:
Port of Postgres to Windows
The popular Unix/Linux OS Database "postgresql"
becomes more accessible

Optimised for the Windows environment
A thread model enabling effective processing of
multiple transactions is used. This enables
maximum performance in a windows environment.

Web back end DB at low cost
There is no limit to the number of users who
can connect concurrently, making (PowerGres)
suitable as a low cost web app backend DB

GUI admin tool
A GUI admin tool is packaged with powergres. This
enables beginners to perform database management
visually / per point and click

Japanese manual provided
(translation of original Postgres manuals)

C, Java Interface spport
API for C and Java provided

(pretty pictures, presumably of GUI admin tool)

http://osb.sra.co.jp/PowerGres/function.php

"Table of PowerGres functions"

(comparision with "other DBs for windows",
seems a bit pointless, left out)

http://osb.sra.co.jp/PowerGres/catalog.php

"Product catalogue"
(more: overview)

Environment:
CPU: Pentiium or compat, min 300Mhz
OS: Windows 2000 (SP2 or later), XP
Memory: 128MB (rec: 256MB +)
Drive space: 100MB+

Product:
- 1 CD ROM
- PowerGres installer
- PowerGres
. PowerGres GUI admin tol
- PostgreSQL 7.3 Japanese documentation
- also:
- PowerGres handbook
- user registration
- misc

Installation support
Free support by email and fax for 30 days after registration

Price
48,000 Yen + tax (probably 5% sales tax; we're talking roughly
total US$ 500 or about the same in Euros)
Available from March 2003 (scheduled)
Beta download available from Jan 2003

http://powergres.sra.co.jp/
===========================

(Beta dowload)

Thankyou for your interest in PowerGres.
A free beta version of PowerGres is available.
Currently 1.0b s available for download.
It can be evaluated for 30 days. Please
do not hesitate to try before you buy.
We cannot offer any support for this software.
Use at own risk (blah blah). Also , be aware
the Beta version has some restrictions /
lack of features compared to the release version, see
here:
http://osb.sra.co.jp/PowerGres/beta_restriction.php

(list of things, mainly command line tools with certain
options not working properly)

DOWNLOAD FORM:

Name*
Email*
Company
Dept.
Postal code*
Address*

* required. (Note: Japanese postal code are like 111-2222 ).

( There follows a select box clicked by default enabling
SRA to send you emails... The button is "Send".)

(following that, privacy info boilerplate).

http://osb.sra.co.jp/PowerGres/faq.php
======================================

(not a complete translation, only the interesting points
from this page)

"FAQ"

- License: one license per server; client software
is unrestricted ,though no free support available.
- it is possible to transfer data from a PostgreSQL
installation to PowerGres, though some
restrictions apply;
- restrictions are among others:
- max simultaneous connections 50 users
(seems to contradict a previous statement...)
- User-definable functions only in C, SQL, PL/pgSQL
- No UNIX domain socket support
- authentication only trust/reject/md5