Re: sync()

From: Kurt Roeckx <Q(at)ping(dot)be>
To: Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sync()
Date: 2003-01-31 21:11:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 07:31:08PM +1100, Giles Lean wrote:

> Is the "Single Unix Standard, version 2" (aka UNIX98) any better?
> It says for fsync():
>
> "The fsync() function forces all currently queued I/O operations
> associated with the file indicated by file descriptor fildes to
> the synchronised I/O completion state. All I/O operations are
> completed as defined for synchronised I/O file integrity
> completion."

In version 3 it says:

The fsync() function shall request that all data for the open file
descriptor named by fildes is to be transferred to the storage
device associated with the file described by fildes in an
implementation-defined manner. The fsync() function shall not
return until the system has completed that action or until an error
is detected.

[SIO] [Option Start] If _POSIX_SYNCHRONIZED_IO is defined, the
fsync() function shall force all currently queued I/O operations
associated with the file indicated by file descriptor fildes to the
synchronized I/O completion state. All I/O operations shall be
completed as defined for synchronized I/O file integrity
completion. [Option End]

Kurt