Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

From: cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Ron Mayer <ron(at)intervideo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, cbbrowne(at)cbbrowne(dot)com
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System
Date: 2003-01-31 13:12:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> > Assuming all your assumptions are right, why the hell is Oracle's and MS
> > SQL-Server's reputation that bloody good?
>
> They have marketing departments.

... As well as sizable systems integration departments devoted to the
platforms in question. PostgreSQL doesn't have the latter, although the
recent efforts make a move towards it.

> > And what about MySQL?
>
> What about it? Someone claimed in this thread that MySQL's Windows port
> requires Cygwin. Is that true or not?

http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-3.23.html
"Windows downloads

The Windows binaries use the Cygwin library. Source code for the version of
Cygwin we have used is available on this page."
http://www.mysql.com/downloads/cygwin.html
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spiritual.html