Re: Lost connections

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Lost connections
Date: 2003-01-30 19:56:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 07:10:47PM -0000, Donald Fraser wrote:
> 1) How as an administrator can I tell which connections are lost
> and which are not so I can shut down the appropriate processes?

The dead connection should get cleaned up when the TCP timeout
happens, as I understand it.

> 2) Is there a way of connecting to the server with client
> applications that can avoid this situation. That is can the client
> software do something extra when connecting such as additional
> parameters, keep alive socket options... to avoid this scenario?

Not as far as I know. You could lower your TCP timeout, I guess, but
I believe the TCP/IP authorities say this is a Bad Idea.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8