Re: Replication

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replication
Date: 2003-01-28 21:12:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 09:59:52AM -0700, Will LaShell wrote:
> What problems have people been having getting rserv to work at all?

In 2001 I tested it for our anticipated load. It worked for me, but
it was not up to the kind of load that we were anticipating. It was
reasonable, however, and I was not able to break it; it just wasn't
up to the load I had to plan for. We also needed multi-salve
replication. We therefore did some work with PostgreSQL, Inc. to
produce a new, somewhat better version of rserv. That's what we
still use in our production systems.

So I have not had problems getting rserv to work, but it wasn't
enough for us. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others,
though: the strategy is sound, and if it meets your needs, it'll
probably do fine (assuming it still works with 7.3; when I was
testing, remember, 7.1.x was the released version). I seem to recall
keeping it busy with several hundred transactions per minute, but
whether that was sustainable I don't know.

----
Andrew Sullivan 204-4141 Yonge Street
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M2P 2A8