Re: Can't read input file

From: Desmond Coughlan <psql(at)zeouane(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't read input file
Date: 2003-01-25 13:52:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

Le Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 03:59:39PM -0600, Devinder K Rajput a écrit ...

> Thank you Desmond and Oliver. The problem is fixed. The directories did
> not have execute permissions set....That's what i get for using the -R
> flag with chmod.

At the same time, be careful with the -x bit, if the files are in your
$HOME (did you say that they were elsewhere ? I don't recall). I'm not
about to give execute permission to anyone in my $HOME, which is why I
move the files to /tmp when I'm using copy, and then I delete them as soon
as I've incorporated them into the database. It means that they can be
read by other users whilst I'm editing them, but as of now, my files are
only to practice and learn, and so don't contain confidential information.

I was somewhat surprised that I couldn't access the files in $HOME/sql, as
I'm using psql as user 'desmond', but then I suppose it's because
postmaster and postgres themselves are running under user 'postgres' (if
I'm talking bollocks, feel free to correct me). When the time comes to use
private data, then I shall follow Oliver's suggestion, and copy via psql
... :-)

D.

--
Desmond Coughlan |'Io non mori, e non rimasi vivo'
desmond(at)zeouane(dot)org