Bug #884: Schema access not inherited by functions declared SECURITY DEFINER

From: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug #884: Schema access not inherited by functions declared SECURITY DEFINER
Date: 2003-01-24 17:37:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Jason B. Alonso (jalonso(at)mit(dot)edu) reports a bug with a severity of 3

Short Description
Schema access not inherited by functions declared SECURITY DEFINER

Long Description
When calling a function declared SECURITY DEFINER, I get permission denied errors on schemas that the function would access. In my cases, no permissions are granted to the schemas are granted to the users calling the functions, but the owner/definer of the functions is the owner/definer/explicitly-permitted-user of the schemas in question.

The problem is a "minor annoyance" to me in that I can circumvent the problem in my application by granting schema usage to PUBLIC (and explicitly revoking access to the schema's tables, etc.), but it may not be quite so minor to others.

Version: PostgreSQL 7.3 running on Cygwin/Win2k

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report