PostgreSQL, Inc. @ Open Source Weekend

From: PgSQL Corporate Communications <pr(at)pgsql(dot)com>
To: pr(at)pgsql(dot)com
Subject: PostgreSQL, Inc. @ Open Source Weekend
Date: 2003-01-17 02:51:11
Lists: pgsql-announce

For Immediate Release PostgreSQL, Inc., 18 Elm Street
Wednesday, January 15th, 2003 Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Canada, B4P 1Z9

PostgreSQL, Inc. @ Open Source Weekend
January 25th & 26th, 2003

PostgreSQL, Inc. (PgSQL) will be participating with the free license
and open source software communities (FLOSS) in the upcoming Open
Source Weekend in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

"We're pleased to have been invited to join in this year's conference,"
observes PgSQL President Marc Fournier, "it will be exciting to meet
many of the people in Canada's open source community that I've been
working with over the past decade and a bit. These are the people who
have helped make Canada a quiet giant in the open source communities,
and we hope that this conference will help us all to make enough noise
to send a loud message to many others that the time for free software
solutions in government and enterprise is here."

Following Martin Fink's Keynote presentation on Sunday afternoon at
the RA Centre venue, PgSQL's CEO Geoff Davidson will be joining the
Business of Open Source Software panel for a live and lively
discussion of the opportunities, challenges, strengths and advantages
that open source faces in today's business and economic environment.
"The Open Source Weekend is a presentation of Ottawa's open source
community, produced by several groups and taking place in several
locations in the city. It features presentations, tutorials, and
demos including those by IBM, Sun Microsystems, OEone, and many
experts on open source topics for both newcomers and advanced users."
outlines program organizer Dave Edwards, "Attendees will come away
with a better understanding of open source software -- its paradigm,
its use, and its future."

Geoff is also facilitating a session on Business Models for Open
Source on Saturday afternoon at the University of Ottawa conference
site. "During the session I'll be reviewing some of the elements
that have allowed PgSQL to survive through self funding while many
other heavily funded open source companies have not, as well as
inviting participants to question, challenge, and add their
experiences to the mix. Everyone should leave this workshop with
tools to help make better business decisions, and with a better
understanding of the current market for open source software,"
promises Davidson, "and hopefully how to work more effectively
together even when conventional wisdom suggests we're supposed to
be competing with each other."

PostgreSQL's booth at the conference will include live examples of
the new eRServer v1.2 replication software released last month, and
will introduce the new Lanux Enabled PostgreSQL High Availability
Server platform. "We plan to go public with a couple of our newest
solutions," Fournier explains, "as a Canadian based company, this
is our first opportunity to make these types of announcements in
Canada and we want to share as much of our 2003 news as we can while
we're at the show".

In addition to Lanux, the PostgreSQL team will be joined by Steve
Brent, former National Training & eLearning Manager at bizSmart.
Steve will be presenting 'Selling Open Source Technology to the
Enterprise'. "The invitation from the conference, and the support
from PostgreSQL to have me present this to the open source
community is a rare privilege," states Brent, "This workshop will
introduce participants to successful sales strategies, and provide
them with some of the most advanced and powerful sales and marketing
tools available today. During the program I'll be sharing some of the
methods and practices that have helped other salesforces to quickly
double and triple their sales."

For a copy of this Press Release in PDF format, please go to:
http://www.pgsql.com/press/PR_OSW-03.pdf

CONTACT INFORMATION:
Dave Edwards
www.osw.ca or