Re: default to WITHOUT OIDS?

From: Daniel Kalchev <daniel(at)digsys(dot)bg>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: default to WITHOUT OIDS?
Date: 2003-01-13 08:43:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>>Neil Conway said:
> On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 21:27, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > So what actually is the point of OIDs then?
>
> My understanding is that they're used to uniquely identify entries in
> system catalogs. If there's a good reason to make use of OIDs on user
> tables, I can't see it...

What happens if you have an existing database and want to load new tables,
that rely on their OIDs (the OIDs of the rows actually) to refer to data in
other tables (the 'old' way)?

Normally, one would dump the old tables 'with oids' and copy to the new
database 'with oids'. Chances are, there will be duplicate OIDs in the
database - in the existing and new tables....

Daniel