Re: 7.3.1: test select_having ... FAILED

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pggeneral(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.3.1: test select_having ... FAILED
Date: 2002-12-29 05:13:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Saturday 28 December 2002 14:26, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ed L." <pggeneral(at)bluepolka(dot)net> writes:
> > Looks like this select_having regression test was fixed by tgl on
> > the HEAD Nov 21 2002 to use ORDER BY queries to avoid random
> > outputs, but I was surprised it did not make it into 7.3.1.
>
> The change I made was unrelated to 7.3.*. I suspect you are
> looking at a locale issue --- was this a "make check" or "make
> installcheck", and if the latter, what locale is the server using?

This was encountered with the following:

cd .../src/test/regress
gmake clean
gmake all runtest

As for locales, don't know much about those. This is a fresh redhat
8.0 install with plain vanilla defaults for US english, etc. env |
grep LC shows nothing. LANG=en_US.UTF-8, the default setting. Still,
my relatively uninformed look into the regression test files shows me
missing ORDER BY clauses, as you can see below, which would seem to
explain it.

Ed

# pwd
.../postgresql-7.3.1/src/test/regress
# diff expected/select_having.out results/select_having.out
29d28
< 3 | BBBB
30a30
> 3 | BBBB
46d45
< XXXX | 0
47a47
> XXXX | 0

# cat -n expected/select_having.out
24 -- HAVING is equivalent to WHERE in this case
25 SELECT b, c FROM test_having
26 GROUP BY b, c HAVING b = 3;
27 b | c
29 3 | BBBB