Re: why we need both the collector & buffer process

From: William(dot)Jiang <jiang_sir(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)cn>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: why we need both the collector & buffer process
Date: 2002-12-26 03:45:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry to say that I cannot see which process is used to do checkpoints. I just see two main functions.
pgstat_recvbuffer(): this function is to receive the information from the postgres .this function is the main body of buffer process
pgstat_min():this function is to do the job of getting information from the buffer process and writing them to the file . and this is the main body of collector process.
Any function else to do the checkpoint job?
Best Wishes!
William
Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
=?gb2312?q?William.Jiang?= wrote:

> hi,all hackers of postgres
>
> when postmaster start as a service . another two
> processes(collector & buffer ) start their work at the same
> time.
>
> I have read the code and I am wondering why we need two
> processes to do the work. I think one process can work as
> well. Are there something special you considered when you
> developed this feature?

One collects statistics for the pg_stat tables, and the other does
checkpoints. They are different functions.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us