Re: Perform a Select on an Oracle Database from PG

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: val(at)webtribe(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Perform a Select on an Oracle Database from PG
Date: 2002-12-19 16:05:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 03:37:00PM +0000, val(at)webtribe(dot)net wrote:
> How do I do a cross-database connection?
>
> I have data in a table in Oracle that I need to copy into a
> Postgres table. It has been suggested to me that I attempt to
> perform a cross-database select instead of exporting the info
> from Oracle into a CSV file and then importing the CSV data into
> Postres.
>
> Can someone please advise me on how to do this or point me to
> some documentation?

Write a program in some language that can access both databases. SELECT
data from Oracle and INSERT into PostgreSQL.

That assumes the database structure has already been migrated.

You might want to look at conversion tools in the PostgreSQL contrib tree
(see ftp site) and related articles at http://techdocs.postgresql.org/

-Roberto

--
+----| Roberto Mello - http://www.brasileiro.net/ |------+
+ Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University +