Re: Update on replication

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl, jonathan(at)cnds(dot)jhu(dot)edu, al(at)alsutton(dot)com, darren(at)up(dot)hrcoxmail(dot)com, JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com, shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update on replication
Date: 2002-12-18 01:12:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >
> > > What about asynchronous (triggered?) replication? Is something like
> > > rserv or dbmirror going to be moved to main?
> >
> > From what I've been able to tell *so far*, Postgres-R is going to preclude
> > the ability for either to work ... Vadim is currently reviewing the code,
> > and based on his assessment of whether or not that is the case, I'm going
> > to be pushing for postgres-r to be its own project/fork of PostgreSQL,
> > like RedHat Database ...
>
> How is Postgres-R going to prevent async replication from also being
> adopted in CVS?

As far as I know, all trigger based async replication solutions have a
limitation. They do not handle high load (and probably cannot handle
large objects. am I correct?). I think we should move to other async
replication soltions, such as PostgreSQL-R or (not yet existing)
transaction log based replications.
--
Tatsuo Ishii