SQL newbie question:

From: ve3ey(at)rac(dot)ca
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL newbie question:
Date: 2002-12-16 18:04:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Everyone:

I have a table with two columns: names and band . There are about 50000
names in "names" column and five bands (1-5)in the "band" column. Each
name can belong to one, more than one or all 5 bands. Something like:

names band
___________________

jim 2
john 1
mark 4
jim 4

Etc, etc...

I am trying to figure out how many names (out of 50000) are members of , say
, all 5 bands or only 4 bands etc. That is , for example, how many unique
names I have in , say, bands 1 and 2 and 3
I tried something like this:

SELECT COUNT (names) FROM <my table> WHERE band = 1 AND band = 2 AND band =
3;

So , the above select statement was supposed to tell me how many users
belong to band 1,2 and 3. I am always getting result of "0" but this is
not true.
Thanks for help.

Nick